Saturday, June 30, 2007

Summer Jobs to pay for school

The tiny village of Teen Dhara in Tehri district is a popular stopover enroute to the Badrinath-Kedarnath shrines in the Garhwal Himalayas.

And in the summer months, it sees a large influx of students from neighbouring villages who spend their holidays catering to the tourists and pilgrims with their kiosks selling lemonade, jal jeera and cucumber.

This isn't just any other summer job to earn a little extra pocket money. The youngsters work hard and the income earned ensures that they get to go to school another year as well as help their families.

Eighteen-year-old Suresh Rana, a Class XI student at the Government College in Bachri Khal, says: "My vacations are presently on and I am earning around Rs 100 daily. I give the money to my parents. The income indirectly helps me continue with my studies." Like Suresh, there are some 20 students who take advantage of their summer vacations in this way every year.

Sher Singh, a local travel professional, says: "More than the money they earn, the exposure they get by handling tourists is what I consider their biggest earning."

The lemonade and jal jeera sell for Rs 5 a glass and the cucumber for Rs 5 a piece. They do roaring business despite the presence of around 25 dhabas and restaurants. The kiosks have become so famous that the tourists seek them out

No comments: